Travelling with your pet

puppy and kitten

New requirements to travelling to the EU post-Brexit –


  • Microchip your pet


  • Vaccinate your pet for rabies. This needs to be at least 21 days before travel and your pet must be at least 3months old.


  • Book an appointment with an Official Veterinary Surgeon, who is trained and qualified to provide and complete the necessary paperwork. This needs to be no more than 10 days before your planned entry into the EU and will be valid for 4 months. For travel to Ireland your dog also needs Tapeworm treatment.


  • Make sure you seek out a vet in the EU to administer Tapeworm treatment to your dog 1-5 days before your return to the UK.

You will need a new AHC (animal health certificate) each time you wish to travel with your Cat, Dog or Ferret within the EU.

NB – If you are not travelling with your pet yourself, you will need to provide written permission for the designated care taker of your pet to export them on your behalf. Please make sure they have this letter for their appointment. . 

More info can be found at